Keeping Children & Youth Safe
Safe Environment Program
The Diocese of Fort Worth has launched a new Safe Environment training program for its employees and volunteers in ministry. Detailed information will be released soon on the new program.
Creating a safe environment for children and young people is a diocesan priority. All employees (priests, deacons, religious and laity) and volunteers of the Diocese of Fort Worth are required to participate in the Safe Environment Program.
The Safe Environment Program of the Diocese of Fort Worth requires:
- Completion of online training modules, regarding the dynamics of abuse and abuse-prevention strategies (required every three years)
- Review and agreement with the Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards Document (You will be prompted to complete this form within the online training module).
- Review and signing of the Authorization for Release of Information Document (you will be prompted to complete this form within the online training module).
- Criminal Background Check Clearance
- Volunteer Ministry Application - (Click here to access the form).
Ministers, employees and volunteers are required to do online retraining every three (3) years.
All Parish & School programs require the presence of, and supervision by two adults, or one adult and two older teens. This policy extends to:
- All sponsored training and events, regardless of where the programs or activities are held.
- Catholic school events, and activities outside of a regular, classroom setting
- Religious education classes and programs
- Youth ministry programs and events
- Liturgy of the Word for children
- Rite of Christian Initiation - Adapted for Children
- Babysitting, nursery and child care programs
- Choirs for children and youth
- Altar server training
- Vacation Bible School
All employees are screened during the interview and hiring process. All new volunteers are to be
interviewed and screened.
For more information, please contact Becky Lucas, Safe Environment Coordinator, at 817-460-2751 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Reporting Sexual Abuse: What Steps Should I Take?
The Church takes the matter of sexual abuse seriously and urges anyone who has been abused to talk to someone in order to heal. To report an instance of sexual abuse by Church personnel:
- Contact your local law enforcement agency (ask to file a report of abuse)
- Contact Texas Department of Family and Protective Services at 800-252-5400 (follow the directions to file a report with a case worker or file an online report)
If you or someone close to you has been the victim of sexual abuse by a priest, deacon, or anyone representing the Catholic Church, you are encouraged to:
- Contact the Diocesan Office of Child & Youth Protection, Attention: Nancy Mitchell, via phone at 817-560-2452, ext. 201 (this is a confidential, password-protected direct line to the office.)
- Leave a message on the diocese Sexual Abuse Hotline at 817-560-2452, ext. 900 (this is a message mailbox; your message will receive a prompt response).
You may also write to the Associate Director of Safe Environment at:
Diocese of Fort Worth
800 West Loop 820 South
Fort Worth, Texas 76108